QUESTIONS and ACTIVITIES
1. Explain the nature of the Coates Hire business. You may elect to visit the website to further explore the businesses listed as part of Coates Hire www.coates.com.au
2. Identify the various aspects related to the Coates Way - explain the relationship between each of these aspects.
3. What is the role played by the HR department at Coates?
4. Comment on how the four outcomes of HR support the strategic intent.
5. Explain the concept of employee engagement. Why is it important? What strategies are used to improve the level of employee engagement?
6. Evaluate the level of engagement at Coates Hire based on the data provided.
1. As a management consultant, you have been asked by a company to advise its senior management team to better align their HR policies and practices to the overall strategy of the business. Prepare a 200-250 word report that justifies the alignment and uses the approach of Coates to illustrate your position.
Assume the company is a growing, medium-sized retail clothing business.
2. Conduct a survey, using the question below, with a group of employees to assess their level of engagement with their work. Each student in the class could ask three employed people, thereby providing a sample of 60 (assuming a class size of 20).
Collate the responses to obtain a percentage of respondents Consider any patterns in relation to age groups or occupations. In groups, discuss the findings of the survey and the implications for some employers.
Select A or B
A I CHOOSE TO STAY AT MY JOB EVEN THOUGH I HAVE OPTIONS TO LEAVE
B I STAY BECAUSE I HAVE NO OPTION TO LEAVE
Age range 15-24 25-34 35-44 45-54 Over 55
3. Develop a role statement for the HR Manager in a business of your choice, (real or imaginary). List the functions that the HR Manager is likely to have to perform. In what ways could the HR Manager contribute to the success of the business?