QUESTIONS & ACTIVITIES
1. What is innovation? Use an example to show how innovation can lead to the development of new products.
1. Stick at it
New product development is the cornerstone of innovation at 3M. So what new innovation can you offer the company?
Working in groups you are required to come up with a new product for 3M. You should focus on a product that fits into the consumer adhesive range.
- Research 3M’s current product range and identify if any gaps exist.
- Develop a rationale for the product as well as a name, and some packaging visuals.
- Explain how the product adds value to 3Ms current product range.
- Suggest 3 spin-off products that might complement this new product.
- Deliver a multimedia report to the class, incorporating visuals and demonstrations of the new product.
You might conduct a feasibility investigation into the product’s effectiveness and together with a science class develop a prototype. You could also invite a 3M representative to the presentation.